Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy Reading New Year!

Taking a little bit of time this New Year's Day to reflect on my reading for 2011 and plans for 2012.

I read 36 books in 2011 and listed to 5 audiobooks. I am enjoying the audiobooks on my short commute to and from work so that is something I will definitely be continuing.

Some of my favorite reads from 2011 were:

"Tatiana & Alexander"--Paullina Simons
A sequal to "The Bronze Horseman". Though I did not find this one quite as good as "The Bronze Horseman", it was worth the time to read the continuing story of the two main characters. Historical fiction, WWII, Russian History, a love story......all good stuff! I have yet to read the last book in the trilogy, "The Summer Garden", so that is on this year's reading list.

"Full Dark, No Stars"--Stephen King
I usually either love or hate Stephen King books. This one I loved. Four short stories that I found very interesting and entertaining. This was one of those books this year I could not put down until it was done and it's possible I may have neglected a few household chores and/or not heard everything my family said to me during this time! Also by Stephen King this year: "Mile 81" and "The Long Walk" and listened to "The Gingerbread Girl"; although I don't recommend these as highly.

"In the Garden of Beasts"--Erik Larson
Mom and I picked this book to read on our Yellowstone Trip. We had previously read "The Devil in the White City" by this author (also highly recommended) and had been wanting to read this one as well. The first surprise was that the book was non-fiction. It tells the story of America's first ambassador to Hitler's Germany in 1933. Very interesting to read about the changes happening in Germany during the build up to WWII and a glimpse inside the life of an ambassador.
"The Invisible Bridge"--Julie Orringer
Although I am slowly transitioning the majority of my reading (and all new book purchases) to my Kindle, this was one of three books I bought at Costco this summer. Hey, if Keith is going to send me to do the Costco shopping, there will be some collateral damage! Another WWII historical fiction epic but the main characters were from Hungary and I don't think I've read anything previously that looked at the persecution of the Jews in that country and the country's involvement in the war. Highly recommend this one!
And, my biggest accomplishment this year, was reading the entire Bible. This is something I had wanted to do for a long time. This summer I joined an online challenge to read the Bible in 90 days and I did it! There is no denying it was tough at times. My reading took place during All Star and tournament baseball, summer trips to Yellowstone and Birch Bay and busy geocaching weekends. But it is an accomplishment I'm proud of.
I don't want to set too many reading goals for 2012. I read on the whim a lot of the time but I do want to finish "The Bronze Horseman" trilogy and read "The Hobbit" again before the movie arrives in theatres in December. I am also reading The Bible again, but this time over the entire year and in chronological order.

Right now I am reading "Alva, That Vanderbilt Belmont Woman". On our trip to New England this past Fall, we stopped in Newport, Rhode Island and toured the "summer cottage" she and her husband had built there. It was one of my favorites of the homes we toured. I saw this book in their gift shop but decided to buy a used version from Abe Books. The author is attempting to tell Alva's story in "her own words". This glimpse into the high society of New York City in the last 1800's and early 1900's is quite interesting.

No comments: